This year’s PTSO has a new Student Advocacy committee. Check back for important messages in support of all students at East Meck. If you’d like to get involved, please email email@example.com.
September is Suicide Awareness Month
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, “In 2021, emergency departments across the U.S. noted a sharp rise in 12-to-17-year-olds needing treatment for suicidal thoughts or actions. And in a recent federal survey, more than 4 in 10 high school students reported feeling “persistently sad or hopeless,” while 1 in 5 said they’d thought about suicide.” Visit https://childmind.org for Suicide Prevention Resources.
Tips for a Successful Year
Tips from one of our very own counselors to have a Successful School Year. Visit the Student Services Website for more info.
- Have daily conversations with your child. Use the following prompts: What made you smile or laugh today? What did you do during lunch? What was something that you found to be a challenge? Then you can share these details from your day.
- Check Power School daily for attendance and grade postings.
- Become an observer for each Canvas course (instructions here). This can help parents become proactive with assignments before they impact the child on Power School.
- Check your blocked phone numbers in your cell phone to ensure that your child has not blocked communication. Mr. Parker does a call each Friday. If you are not getting a call, the school’s number may be blocked or you may need to updated your number with the front office.
- Be open to mental health concerns your child may express to you. We have a unique opportunity for therapy. Speak to your counselor about getting the process started.
- Attendance matters. Any time you have an absence, report it on the EMHS website. Keep your absences under 10 per class. Schedule appointments during workdays, if possible.
- Be aware of promotion standards:
- 9th to 10th grade requires 6 of any credits
- 10th to 11th grade requires 12 credits, including English 1, English 2, and Math 1
- 11th to 12th requires 18 credits, including English 1, English 2, and Math 1
- Enroll in Parent Square to receive communications from the school and your student’s teachers.
Free Breakfast & Lunch
Free breakfast and free lunch are now available to ALL East Meck Students! Check out the daily menus: https://cms.nutrislice.com/menu/east-mecklenburg-hs.