Meet this year’s board here!
EMHS PTSO EXECUTIVE BOARD MEMBERS – OFFICERS
This position is responsible for overseeing all PTSO activities, communicating continuously with all Board members and running both Board and General Body meetings. Acts as PTSO spokesperson at school wide functions and maintains communications with Principal to ensure a cohesive relationship between Administration and PTSO. Oversees various committee chairs as defined on EMHS PTSO General Board document. Individual is an authorized check signer on PTSO bank account. Time commitment: high, yearlong; expected to attend Board meetings.
Assists the President with various activities and administrative duties, and oversees committees in the absence of the President. Attends and facilitates Board and General Body meetings when the President is not available. Oversees various committee chairs as defined on EMHS PTSO General Board document. Individual is an authorized check signer on PTSO bank account. Time commitment: moderate, yearlong; expected to attend Board meetings.
Assembles and distributes meeting agendas and other materials in advance of Board and General Body meetings, records and distributes minutes of all meetings, and maintains custody of important documents and contact information for PTSO officers and committee chairs. Oversees various committee chairs as defined on EMHS PTSO General Board document. Time commitment: moderate, yearlong; expected to attend Board meetings.
This position requires general bookkeeping and financial knowledge and is responsible for maintaining financial records and distributing PTSO funds. Works with other officers to create the annual PTSO budget and tracks spending to ensure it falls within the approved budget. Maintains PTSO bank accounts and reconciles monthly statements. Individual is an authorized check signer on the PTSO bank account. Oversees various committee chairs as defined on EMHS PTSO General Board document. Time commitment: high, yearlong; expected to attend Board meetings.
This person is a past president, officer or member with institutional knowledge of PTSO history and bylaws. Offers support, guidance, and continuity from one school year to the next. Individual is an authorized check signer on PTSO bank account. Time commitment: minimal; yearlong; asked to attend Board meetings when available.
The principal of the school will be a member of the Executive Board.
EMHS PTSO GENERAL BOARD MEMBERS
Each PTSO General Board Member is responsible for a certain set of PTSO activities. Each General Board Member reports to an Executive Board Member for support and oversight.
Reporting to President
- Advocacy: Individual is responsible for keeping parents informed about educational policy changes and issues of interest at the school, district, state and national level. Simplifies and distributes policy information via email and/or PTSO website. Encouraged to attend school board and other community meetings and communicate information learned to other PTSO members. Seeks opportunities to strengthen family and community involvement with our school. Chair/Board contact for Advocacy committee. Time commitment: moderate, yearlong.
- Hospitality: Participate in open houses and back to school nights as needed. Coordinate ad-hoc tours of the school if they arise. Look for other ways to extend hospitality to potential, future or students and families. Time commitment: moderate, yearlong; will require ability to be at school during specific events.
- IB Liaison: Works with IB Coordinator to identify partnerships and support needed by PTSO for the IB Program. Meets with IB Coordinator to stay up to date on developments within the program and update the PTSO accordingly. Provide volunteer support for IB Open Houses if needed. Time commitment: low, yearlong, busiest mid-year.
- SIT Liaison: Represents the PTSO as a member of the School Improvement Team; individual is expected to attend SIT meetings and report on SIT initiatives to other PTSO Board members. Time commitment: low, yearlong.
- Staff Events & Appreciation: Organizes staff appreciation events and activities, including Staff Appreciation week, end of year celebrations, and various breakfasts/lunches/activities throughout the year. Time commitment: variable as events are occurring, as decided by chair; will require coming to school for specific events.
Reporting to Vice President
- Direct Giving: Coordinates Direct Giving campaign. Publicize the campaign, develop marketing materials, and supervise the collection, tracking, and timely deposit of funds donated. Coordinate matching gifts. Provide thank you letters to all donors. May also organize contests or other incentives to encourage participation. Time commitment: moderate-high during Direct Giving campaign; requires coming to school 2-3 times per week during campaign.
- Spirit Nights: Contact area restaurants to set up regular East Meck Spirit Nights; publicize events and report earnings to PTSO Board. Time commitment: low, can be done from home.
- Corporate Partnerships: Identify and work with local businesses to secure donations of volunteers, donations, and supplies for East Meck; form partnerships to benefit our students and staff. Time commitment: variable, as much as you are available; can be done from home.
- Easy Money Promotions: Create awareness and encourage participation in various school fundraising programs offered by companies and grocery stores in our area, primarily grocery store card links, Amazon smile, etc. Time commitment: low, can be done from home.
- Grant Writing: Identify and apply for grants from community organizations and businesses; assist staff members in applying for grants. Time commitment: variable, depending on individual availability; can be done from home.
- Beautification: Maintain and enhance school grounds and gardens, in coordination with school’s staff and in coordination with a long time beautification volunteer. Projects may include organizing and publicizing workdays and flower plantings, and working with individual teachers to support class gardening projects. Time commitment: variable depending on your availability; work is at school.
Reporting to Treasurer
- Assistant Treasurer: Assists the Treasurer by going to school to collect and deposit monies. Does other individual tasks as assigned by the Treasurer. Individual is an authorized check signer on PTSO bank account. Time commitment: moderate; must be able to get to school somewhat regularly, busiest in beginning of the school year.
Reporting to Secretary
- Membership: Coordinates the drive for new PTSO members at the start of the school year; organizes membership sign-ups at Open House and during the first weeks of school; promotes PTSO membership to staff and parents; collects membership data; works with Treasurer to ensure membership dues are paid. Time commitment: low, higher during first month of school; most work can be done from home
- Communications: Coordinates publicity for PTSO activities. Coordinates back to school information needed to go out in back to school mailings, website, and any other appropriate means. Works with administration, staff and other PTSO members to publicize school events and student achievements via school website, ConnectEds, Principal’s Newsletter, and social media. Streamlines important information across all chains of communication. Looks for ways to improve communication from the PTSO and the school. Time commitment: moderate. Work can be done from home.
- Website: Liaisons with web master. Makes general changes to the site as identified by Communications and by Board. Time commitment: moderate-low, work can be done at home. Reports to Communications Chair.
- Social Media: Posts information and school news on the East Meck Facebook and Instagram accounts; updates the ESHS PTSO website as needed throughout the school year. Time commitment: moderate, yearlong; can be done from home. Reports to Communications Chair.
- Sunshine (Previously InReach): Recognizes teacher accomplishments, birthdays, weddings, births, deaths on behalf of the PTSO. Time Commitment: low; work can be done from home.
- At-Large Members: The primary responsibility of At-Large board members is to attend monthly board meetings and offer thoughtful input into discussions and decision-making. They are also asked to volunteer for various efforts during the year as they arise. At-large members should seek to represent the interests of our broader school community. The goal is for At-Large Members to move to other board or officer positions in subsequent years when possible. Time commitment: low, yearlong.
- Student Representatives: There will be a student representative from each grade level on the general board. Time commitment: low, yearlong.