See 2022-23 Board Descriptions here and meet this year’s board here!
EMHS PTSO EXECUTIVE BOARD MEMBERS – OFFICERS
This position is responsible for overseeing all PTSO activities, communicating continuously with all Board members and running both Board and General Body meetings. Acts as PTSO spokesperson at school wide functions and maintains communications with Principal to ensure a cohesive relationship between Administration and PTSO. Oversees various committee chairs as defined on EMHS PTSO General Board document. Individual is an authorized check signer on PTSO bank account. Time commitment: high, yearlong; expected to attend Board meetings.
Assists the President with various activities and administrative duties, and oversees committees in the absence of the President. Attends and facilitates Board and General Body meetings when the President is not available. Oversees various committee chairs as defined on EMHS PTSO General Board document. Individual is an authorized check signer on PTSO bank account. Time commitment: moderate, yearlong; expected to attend Board meetings.
Assembles and distributes meeting agendas and other materials in advance of Board and General Body meetings, records and distributes minutes of all meetings, and maintains custody of important documents and contact information for PTSO officers and committee chairs. Oversees various committee chairs as defined on EMHS PTSO General Board document. Time commitment: moderate, yearlong; expected to attend Board meetings.
This position requires general bookkeeping and financial knowledge and is responsible for maintaining financial records and distributing PTSO funds. Works with other officers to create the annual PTSO budget and tracks spending to ensure it falls within the approved budget. Maintains PTSO bank accounts and reconciles monthly statements. Individual is an authorized check signer on the PTSO bank account. Oversees various committee chairs as defined on EMHS PTSO General Board document. Time commitment: high, yearlong; expected to attend Board meetings.
This person is a past president, officer or member with institutional knowledge of PTSO history and bylaws. Offers support, guidance, and continuity from one school year to the next. Individual is an authorized check signer on PTSO bank account. Time commitment: minimal; yearlong; asked to attend Board meetings when available.
The principal of the school will be a member of the Executive Board.
EMHS PTSO GENERAL BOARD MEMBERS
Each PTSO General Board Member is responsible for a certain set of PTSO activities. Each General Board Member reports to an Executive Board Member for support and oversight.
Reporting to President
- Hospitality: Participate in open houses, back to school nights and IB informational sessions as needed. Coordinate ad-hoc tours of the school if they arise (along with Student EMbassadors). Look for other ways to extend hospitality to potential, future or current students and families. Time commitment: moderate, yearlong; will require ability to be at school during specific events.
- Parent GPS (Navigating East Meck): The strategy of this committee is to provide an open forum for parents, sharing insights, knowledge and resources to successfully navigate East Meck and beyond. The supporting tactics include discussion topics including: creating a four-year academic plan, building the student’s resume, college/career pursuits and resources, scholarships and more! Suggested minimum expectations include scheduling quarterly forums, sharing resources through the PTSO “What to Know” pages, and providing content as needed in the East Meck 495 Connector. Time commitment: moderate year round; committee can perform work from home.
- SIT Liaison: Represents the PTSO as a member of the School Improvement Team; individual is expected to attend SIT meetings and report on SIT initiatives to other PTSO Board members. Time commitment: low, yearlong.
- Staff Events & Appreciation: Organizes staff appreciation events and activities, including Staff Appreciation week, end of year celebrations, and various breakfasts/lunches/activities throughout the year. Time commitment: variable as events are occurring, as decided by chair; will require coming to school for specific events.
Reporting to Vice President
- Corporate Partnerships: Identify and work with local businesses to secure donations of volunteers, donations, and supplies for East Meck; form partnerships to benefit our students and staff. Time commitment: variable, as much as you are available; can be done from home.
- Direct Giving: Coordinates Direct Giving campaign. Publicize the campaign, develop marketing materials, and supervise the collection, tracking, and timely deposit of funds donated. Coordinate matching gifts. Provide thank you letters to all donors. May also organize contests or other incentives to encourage participation. Time commitment: moderate-high during Direct Giving campaign; requires coming to school 2-3 times per week during campaign.
- Grant Writing: Identify and apply for grants from community organizations and businesses; assist staff members in applying for grants. Time commitment: variable, depending on individual availability; can be done from home.
- Spirit Nights & Easy Money: Contact area restaurants to set up regular East Meck Spirit Nights; publicize events and report earnings to PTSO Board. Create awareness and encourage participation in various school fundraising programs offered by companies and grocery stores in our area, primarily grocery store card links, etc. Time commitment: low, can be done from home.
Reporting to Treasurer
- Assistant Treasurer: Assists the Treasurer by going to school to collect and deposit monies. Does other individual tasks as assigned by the Treasurer. Individual is an authorized check signer on PTSO bank account. Time commitment: moderate; must be able to get to school somewhat regularly, busiest in beginning of the school year.
Reporting to Secretary
- Membership: Coordinates the drive for new PTSO members at the start of the school year; organizes membership sign-ups at Open House and during the first weeks of school; promotes PTSO membership to staff and parents; collects membership data; works with Treasurer to ensure membership dues are paid. Time commitment: low, higher during first month of school; most work can be done from home.
- Nominating: Identifies and recruits nominees for election to the board. Coordinates with the Membership Chair during school events, and communicates with feeder schools in order to encourage participation on the board. Oversees the annual nominating committee. Time commitment: moderate, yearlong; can be done from home, will require coming to school for specific events.
- Social Media: Posts information and school news on the East Meck Facebook and Instagram accounts. Time commitment: moderate, yearlong; can be done from home.
- Sunshine (Previously InReach): Recognizes teacher accomplishments, birthdays, weddings, births, deaths on behalf of the PTSO. Time Commitment: low; work can be done from home.
- Website: Liaisons with web master. Makes general changes to the site as identified by the Board. Time commitment: moderate-low, work can be done at home.
- At-Large Members: The primary responsibility of At-Large board members is to attend monthly board meetings and offer thoughtful input into discussions and decision-making. They are also asked to volunteer for various efforts during the year as they arise. At-large members should seek to represent the interests of our broader school community. The expectation is for At-Large Members to move to other board or officer positions in subsequent years. Time commitment: low, yearlong.
- Student Representatives: There will be a student representative from each grade level on the general board. Time commitment: low, yearlong.